History of Franklin FergusonMemorial Library
In the late 1800's, a literary club, the Cripple Creek Fortnightly Society, was founded. This was the beginning of the Cripple Creek Library.
For many years the Cripple Creek Women's Club sponsored the library, with the assistance of the city council and other civic organizations, Mrs. Nellie Ferguson acted as a volunteer librarian for many years. Later, Franklin Ferguson, mayor and civic leader, became responsible for maintaining the building and for helping to arrange the finances for the library.
After his death, the library was closed. On September 6, 1974, the city council was asked to re-open the Cripple Creek Public Library and they unanimously approved a cooperative venture with the Plains and Peaks Public Library System to re-open the library. In honor of Franklin Ferguson, the council voted to name the facility the Franklin Ferguson Memorial Library.
At the time plans were under consideration for the building of a new school in Cripple Creek, combining grades kindergarten through twelfth grade. On April 1, 1975, a $1.8 million bond was passed by the citizens of Cripple Creek and Victor. The public library collection was moved into the new school. The combined library-media center was opened at the school dedication ceremonies on January 11, 1976.